Thread: multiple domains vs primary email

Question multiple domains vs primary email

Hi,

i tried the search function already but i haven't found anything useful to me.

So, my problem is, that i have a zarafa/postfix server which has 2 different domains and is configured against an LDAP.

I can receive and write emails from both domains but here's the thing.

I have one user with two different addresses

user1:

mail:
    zarafaAlias:

This user1 can send mails from both addresses and these addresses are used as "From: " fields, without any problems.

But if the user1 receives a reply or a new mail to the aliases, the header or envelope is rewritten, so that the TO field will always be filled with the primary mail attribute.

..... to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:2003 .....

I don't like it because if you want to use one account for different purposes which should not be known by the outside world, it is simply not possible.

Because i cannot just reply to a mail received on the alias -> there is always the primary mail attached in the header or forwarded/replied content.

So my question would be, is this a misconfiguration on my side?
    Is it working as intended and there is no configuration way?
    Is there a workaround available, which i can use?
    Or maybe a hack for the dagent? I guess it's the dagent who changes the field?

Big thanks in advance
    DarthM

Zarafa

Hi DarthM,

Zarafa always replies with the e-mail adress of the account that recieved the mail. If you want to have a different sending adress defined you have to create an non-active account for this adress and deliver its mails to this account (btw. a much cleaner process if you want to seperate two different "worlds" imho).

Maybe with the new plugin framework and some python experience you could write a plugin that automatically rewrites to sender to the original to address or its "delivered to" address.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi Felix,

sorry for my late response and thank you for your reply.

I think there is a small misunderstanding because sending from an alias is no problem at all in webaccess, in webapp this is another thing. (because the autocompletion is always transforming the inserted from address of an alias to the main mail attribute -> stupid thing and they also removed or do not implemented the FROM settings which are available in the webaccess)

The problem is mainly the fact that you don't see in webapp and webaccess to whom the mail, you received, was send (TO field is always the main mail attribute, no aliases).
    So you don't see if it was send to your alias or your main mail address because it is always shown the main email address.
    But your idea with the non-active account gave me another inside to this problem.

So when i created a non-active user with the main mail attribute of the second domain and still have an alias attached to the active user (i forgot to remove it), you receive the mail to the active account but now you can see the alias address.

szenario:

active User:
    mail:
    zarafaAlias:

non-active User:
    mail:

BUT now i can't send an email from this account.
    Now i removed the alias. So the non-active account will receive the mail and i gave the active account the permission to sendas the non-active.
    Now i'm facing the problem that i don't want to use the non-active at all and want these incoming mails moved to the active mail while receiving. I gave permissions to the inbox of active account and inserted the rule to the non-active account but it's not working yet. This work is not finished yet because i had not the time to get into this.

But how do companies do that? I mean, there are a lot of companies outthere where users have (main), (alias), (alias) and they don't see on which address they received the mail, because there is always written in the TO: field their main mail address? That's something i can't imagine. It's nothing special in the world. They can't create for every domain they have a non-active user for every user, that's ridiculous. Even the 150% of non-active licenses would be burned up by this behaviour.

So do i have a misunderstanding of all this? Is there a way to change that behaviour, maybe in postfix, zarafa configs?
    Nobody is facing the same problem?

Greetings
    DarthM

Hi,

i have the same problem.
    Any solution?

Hi Forum, hi Zarafa-Team,

this is the exactly the last remaining the Problem which prevents migrating from SBS to Zarafa for one of my Customers. Has anyone found a solution for that by now?

We have up to four aliases per Mail-Box. Creating one active User and 3 inactive Users only to be able to see the original recepientadress in WebAccess is not an option for us.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

So long
    Gerd
    Last edited by gwilhelm; 11-03-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Zarafa

When you are doing this only to see the original recipient address, then you could also do the following:

- create a group with your "alias" email
    - add your user as the only member of this group

The email should now be delivered to his group (and therefore resolved to the group address) and then forwarded to your user. Sending as the group with send-as should also work, but I have not tested this.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi Felix,

I have tested it and it is good Workaround!

Thanks very much for your help!

Filtering is possible, sending E-Mails with the group e-mail address is also possible if the "Send as" Privilegue is set on the group. This is not (yet) possible via Univention Management Console but I can do this via any LDAP-Browser.

Regards
    Gerd
    Last edited by gwilhelm; 08-04-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Maintain Send-As for Group via LDAP

Hi Gerd,

you said that this can be done with any LDAP-Browser:
    Unfortunately i do not find any relation below the group entity in LDAP. Or is this an attribute on the group entity?

Would be great if you could share some details of the solution!

Kind Regards,

Tobi