Thread: Max. Contact Picture Size

Max. Contact Picture Size

At this time i Testdrive the VMWare Appliance of the Zarafa Server. I have access to the Server with both, Outlook 2010 and Windows Phone7. Can anyone tell me what the maximum contact picture size is? Are there any limitations against a normale Exchange Server or is the picture size the same? Reason is: on my phone the contact picture will be displayed as the caler id picture on a incoming call. when i sync to googel, the image will be resized to 90x90 pixel. as result i have a very blurred picture on incoming cal, because the image is stretched to the screen width. the screnn is 800x400 Pixel. can i use the 400 Pixel width pictures without resizing, stretching or something else?

Hilden, close to Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany, Europe, Earth...

Re: Max. Contact Picture Size

Hi Bilbob

the maximum pictures size is 1048576 Bytes. In case your picture is larger it will not be stored. You could try to enlarge this limit since it is a define in Z-Push config.php file. In case you enlarge it please have a look into your outlook to see if picture is still being displayed that got sent by the phone.

Best regards

Andreas
    Using Zarafa 7.2.5-29, Z-Push 2.3.4 with GZip and soon again SMS Support.

there is no pixel limit implemented? thats great. i dont know how to calculate from bytes to pixel and i dont know where i can see the image size for a particular contact in outlook.

If picture has too big size in Webaccess it is automatically sized down for displaying. For outlook I don't know how they do it exactly. From Bytes to pixel - good question... It depends much in which format the picture is stored ;-) To be honest - just give it a try and you should see that it is working.

A digicam picture of 3 Megapixels has around 1.3 MB in jpeg (on highest quality level). Size is 2000x1500 pixels so much more than you have.

Best regards

Andreas

ok i have done some tests. i have attached a picture with 200x200, saved the contact, the picture appears in webaccess. i reopened the contact in Outlook, right click on the picture, click on copy and pasted it in xnview as a new picture. i get a picture with 194x194 pixels. outlook seems to scale it down a little bit. a test with 300x300 was the same (scaled down to 294x294). its much better as syncing to google via activesync exchange protocol. a picture with 480x480 is downscaled to 308x308 and one with 308x308 to 302x302. thats no problem with me, it seems to work for my needings. no i must only buy a new nettop computer and install ubuntu lts on it. i hope i can transfer the zarafa configuration from the vmware image to the new system.

Transfering Zarafa from liveimage is possible without any problem. Only thing you need to take care about is that mysql versions are equal if you plan binary transfer of the database.