Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zarafa7 beta2-24874 Cached Mode problem

Zarafa7 beta2-24874 Cached Mode problem

Dear Zarafa,

I'm trying out Zarafa 7 beta2-24874 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86_64. So far I've managed to get almost everything up and running (haven't tested iCal yet). Webaccess, IMAP client and mail delivery including UTF content seem to work, but I'm having trouble with Outlook connectivity. Everything works fine in Online Mode, but in Cached Mode it fails to open the user store, while Public Folders work fine. I'm using the trial license (3 clients).

So far I've tried:
    - two different clients with Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 32bit
    - two different Zarafa user accounts
    - deleting all Outlook profiles and creating a fresh one
    - reinstalling the Zarafa plugin
    - deleting the Zarafa folder in AppData\Local
    - deleting the Outlook Foders in AppData\Local\Microsoft and AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
    - deleting the Zarafa registry folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    - disabling SSL client-side
    - disabling SSL server-side

The account creation passes when I choose Cached Mode from both: withing Outlook or Control Pannel -> Mail. (I tried both: adding Zarafa during the creation of account and creating an empty account with no email and then adding a Zarafa account. Also creating an account, logging in with Outlook and switching to Cached Mode.) Only after starting Outlook when in Cached Mode the problem exists. The zarafa-offline.exe process never even seems to appear on the system.

In any setup, when i install Zarafa 6.30 plugin and try to connect to our 6.30 server everything works without any issues.
    Can you think of anywhere else to look for the problem?

Best Regards,
    Roman Skula

Zarafa QA

Re: Zarafa7 beta2-24874 Cached Mode problem

Hello Roman,

Can you enable the client side server log? Maybe a error is found in that.

Greetings,
    Robin
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://www.zarafa.com/content/documentation
    Zarafa Community webpage: http://community.zarafa.com

Robin,

Thanks for your answer. I've created the server.log as per instructions on the forum and on the first boot (which took a bit longer then usual) Outlook accessed the user store, but was unable to open Public Folders. On the second boot Outlook opened up in a flash as usual with both stores. The system on which I'm testing has been power-cycled in the meantime, but I've also done reboots between different test previously.

The zarafa-offline.exe process is now running on the system, but it's impossible to synchronize. I don't see any emails, which are on the server and when I created a folder in Outlook it didn't show up in Webaccess. Clicking the Synchronize button produces "Connection error (0x80004002)" in the Synchronization Status window.

I'll do more tests, review the log and also try the Sync log and post the results.

Best Regards,
    RS

Zarafa QA

Hello Roman,

The mapi error code is interface not supported. Is the profile created ok? (Zarafa main profile.)

Greetings,
    Robin

Robin,

I've tried any tricks I could think of with recreating, deleteing the profile, reinstalling and cleaning up any settings, I've also use two separate machines for this, both of which work fine with a 6.30 installation (I've written more about this in the first post)... so probably it's safe to assume the profile is fine, I think.

Unfortunately I don't see anything in the serverlog and the synclog stays empty even after a few retries, I'm attaching both in a file for reference.

I've done a test with tcpdump on the server side - while logging in it shows plenty of traffic and afterwards there are single ack-ack packet exchanges that happen from time to time. They seem random and unconnected to changing folders on the client. Clicking the Synchronize button produces no traffic on the server side at all.

I'll post if I come up with something else, but for now I think I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Best Regards,
    RS
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is it possible there's something wrong with server settings? I've pretty much used the defaults for now, only changing whatever was required. Or is it possible that this is caused by the trial license? Are there any other ways or other things to test?

Just to be sure I've checked on another machine, a laptop with Windows XP and Office 2007 - the same thing, also checked on a different Internet connection for completion - no change. So far I've been unable to run Cached Mode at all and I could really use some hints please?

Best Regards,
    RS

I've managed to add a Cached Profile. Below are the steps i took. Again, this is repeatable and tested on 3 machines (all tests). Please be advised, for me ALL the following conditions must have been met for it to work:

1) The zarafa serverlog on the client must be set up (the server.cfg file) before creating a new profile
    2) Zarafa account needs to be added during the Outlook profile creation via the Control Panel -> Mail
    (it will not work if you create an empty profile and add account either during first Outlook boot or via Tools -> Account Settings)
    3) You must provide valid server name and login data at first attempt so that no information dialog is displayed
    4) SSL with a self-signed certificate must be off or the certificate must be known to Outlook (remembered) so that no confirmation dialog is displayed, SSL may be turned on after first Outlook boot
    5) You must choose "Detect at startup" in Connection type (you may choose to change it to Cached Mode after first Outlook boot)

I've done all the above with "index_services_enabled = no" on the server, as the indexer process SIGSEGVs (11) after running for some time for me.
    I'm now able to go forward with testing Zarafa 7, but it'd be great to know if this happens only for me or if it can be somehow confirmed. Also as this is repeatable I'd still very much like to find the reason for this behaviour, as it makes adding an account complicated and pretty much impossible for a regular user (a client).

Please follow-up.

Best Regards,
    RS

Zarafa QA

Hello Usul,

Your first issue. This was a known problem in a internal 6.40 build but never seen in a released version. I will check this.
    2. This is always needed for Zarafa you need a new profile and start with zarafa. (no pst first or any other account).
    4. On first boot you can accept the certificate.
    5. Cached mode does not work from the start? Detect at start up is a online profile with a option to start
    as offline with no connection. It will create the same offline database as cached profile.

Can you post the indexer segfault here? maybe it is a but.
    Also if it is possible the log at level 6 to see if certain items make it crash.

Greetings,
    Robin

Robin,

regarding 2. This is very un-userfriendly, but It's good to know, I'll pass the word. Do you think It'll be fixed?
    regarding 5. I've double-checked and than double-checked it again - it only works if your first start is in auto mode.

I wanted to try a separate thread for the Indexer problem, but here it is, I'm attaching the log. For completion the Linux is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64.

Best Regards,
    RS
    Attached Files Attached Files

Zarafa QA

Hello Usul,

2. This is how outlook works. Same with exchange.
    5. Any errors that outlook give? It can either not create a offline db or connect to the server. A detect at start-up profile does more or less the same.

Greetings,
    Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast