Thread: Migrating from ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04

Migrating from ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04

Hi!

Since I could not find an answer to this question:

I have Zarafa running on Ubuntu 8.04. The system is up to date, since the end of support date is near, I'd like to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04.

I've planned to do:
    - Stop Zarafa, MySQL
    - Upgrade Ubuntu from 8.04 to 9.04
    - Install the adequate Zarafa version
    - Start MySQL
    - Migrate Databases
    - Start Zarafa

The second Step will be to do the same moving from Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04:
    - Stop Zarafa, MySQL
    - Upgrade Ubuntu from 9.04 to 10.04
    - Start MySQL
    - Migrate Databases
    - Start Zarafa

Or would it be possible to do it all in one step:
    - Stop Zarafa, MySQL
    - Upgrade Ubuntu from 8.04 to 9.04
    - Upgrade Ubuntu form 9.04 to 10.04
    - Start MySQL
    - Migrate Databases
    - Start Zarafa

Any hints are welcome! Thanks in advance.
    Thomas

Zarafa

Re: Migrating from ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04

Apart from the fact that there is no Zarafa version for 9.04. Why do you want to upgrade with 9.04 in between? According to a direct upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 is supported (and it would be hillarious if this didnt work)

Regards Felix
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi tps800,

do have migrated to Ubuntu 10.04 yet? Did it work? We have the same issue, so it would be nice if you could give me some hints for the migration.

Best regards,
    der Nasenmann

First of all: Ubuntu managed to kill mysql-clusters. I could not get them to work, because the package is broken (ndbd doesn't start, mysqld doesn't connect to running ndb-mgmd).

Since MySQL-Clusters I did not get to work, I tried with a single MySQL instance :-(. But again: I could not take over our 30+ GiByte database. After some time importing the database terminated. Importing from a file I could determine exactly where. It's all times the same. At the moment I am at the point: MySQL 5.1 is broken on Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS. Really bad!!

I am finally thinking about kicking out Ubuntu in favour of some other distribution (but since all other servers run on Ubuntu :-( ).

I've tried to migrate the whole server from 8.04 to 10.04 directly: after the migration tool told me to remove the CD and then reboot, I did so -- the machine didn't come up again: "Kernel not found!". Quite correct, the upgrade removed grub 0.9x, but forgot to configure grub 1.x ...!
    After fixing it I was able to load the new kernel, but the one installed did hang. Tried out some older ones, but without success: some paniced, some hanged. Last resort: I'd compiled a plain vanilla one, installed with help from systemrescuecd and -- this time the system came up! But -- after some time it started freezing (got slower and slower, then hanged) this was reproducable. After trying various kernel parameters I found turning ACPI off solved this problem.
    Next: mysqld didn't start. This was not really difficult: after installing some missing libraries mysqld started again.
    One other: mysqld started, but ndbd didn't. ndb-mgmd did. After searching for hours I found out: ndbcluster wasn't enabled (bad -- I'd expect it to be enabled installing mysql-cluster-server!). But after solving this problem: I did not get mysqld connect the ndb-mgmd -- I wasn't able to get the database cluster up and running! I've cancelled the migration and started all over trying to migrate from 8.04 to 9.04, then to 10.04. This worked much better: no grub problem, no database problem with 9.04. Worked like a charm. Only zarafa did not start because of missing libraries and dependencies only available with 8.04 or 10.04. I didn't mind that, because I wanted to go to Ubuntu 10.04 lts ...

Upgrading went seamlessly from 9.04 to 10.04. But again the database problem: ndb-mgmd started, ndbd did not, mysqld started, but did not connect the ndb-mgmd ...! Canceled again, did a clean setup from Ubuntu 10.04 Server CD": after configuring the database cluster: ndb-mgmd started, ndbd did not. Starting ndbd manually worked, but mysqld did not connect to ndb-mgmd. The cluster doesn't come up.

I am stuck at the moment.

I have to do the migration in the near future too. So thanks for your detailed story. I hope you'll get it to work. Keep uns informed.