Thread: Zarafa next to an existing mail server

An user

Zarafa next to an existing mail server

I'm installing Zarafa next to an existing mail server. Current users will be migrated one by one, not all at the same time. I have to find a way of configuring the mail relay to contact the directory server to see if the mail is for a Zarafa user or not and have relay it accordingly.

I'm fairly sure this is possible, but I'm a bit baffled by postfix' options. A little help is greatly appriciated.

Re: Zarafa next to an existing mail server

Hi Tristan,

You can create in Postfix a transport map where you can configure per mailaddress or domain which transport provider should be used.

See also this Knowledge Base article:

Regards,

Milo

An user

Thanks for your reply, Milo. I'll keep it in mind as a final solution, since I'd like to set things up a bit more "high tech". I've found some info regarding the transport_maps directive and here's how I hope to do it:

In /etc/postfix/transport, I'll put the address of the old mailserver. I hope this will relay all mail for existing Zarafa-users to the Zarafa server, while relaying mail for users that aren't in the LDAP yet to the old mailserver. This is especially convenient since my client wants to migrate his users one by one over time. Once a user is migrated and has the proper attributes in the LDAP-server, his mail will be automagically relayed to Zarafa.

Unfortunately, I can't try it out because right now, because the firewall has to be adapted. Do you think my plan has a lot of potential? :-)

You will absolutely need to do it with a transport map.

But i don't know how you can add configure the transport map that only the emailaddress from your LDAP need are delivered to the Zarafa transport provider and all other email need to relayed to the other mailserver.

Without LDAP it's a lot easier:

zarafa:
    zarafa:
    * smtp:ip_address_of_other_mailserver

You could also create a simple bash script, that add all email address of your LDAP to the transport map with the zarafa transport provider on the same line and add as the last line the wildcard for all other email domains.

With the postmap command you can create the new db file.

An user

I've taken the "easy" way out: in the transport map, every existing Zarafa-user is relayed to the Zarafa server and at the end, a wildcard catches all other mails and sends them to the old server. Never mind "high tech", this works! ;-)