Thread: From Zarafa Community version to Kopano stable

Question From Zarafa Community version to Kopano stable

Hi all,

Being a Zarafa user for years, and advised it to many clients, I think that finally my time has come to go to Kopano (can't advise clients if I don't use it, can I). Being an experienced Zarafa user, I don't see many technical problems, certainly because it is available from many repositories.

But…

I am still puzzling about one questions, so I hope someone can shed some light on it.

Where can I find a stable community version! Even the repositories all contain the nightly build. New features are nice, but with Zarafa at least we had the choice for the newest of the newest or something stable and reliable.

Without some stable Kopano version, I can’t use and test it. Zarafa is still updating and releasing stable versions, making me stick with Zarafa what should not be the general idea behind the move to Kopana.

So please advise me on the idea behind de Kopano community version releases!

Zarafa

Hello Zalop,

creating stable releases consumes quite some resources (QA testing etc) and these resources are financed through subscription sales. Therefore final and beta releases are only available to subscription holders in Kopano.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the info. Already expected something like this. Think we got a little spoiled by the way you handled it with Zarafa.

Unfortunately I will have to start looking for an alternative if/when you stop updating Zarafa. 7.2.5 will probably will be one of your last releases? Will stay with you for as long as I can!

Thanks for all the great software of the last couple of years. Really liked it and then supported it (and actively pushed it in for example Capgemini Clair).

Zarafa

You of course have to do what you think you have to do, but:

1. by getting a subscription you contribute to the further development of Kopano. Without subscriptions no developers that get paid to fix issues, no qa staff to verify issues, etc.
    2. subscriptions are not expensive. you probably pay way more for the server you run Kopano on (buying hardware, energy, connectivity) than you pay for the Kopano subscription.
    3. its still all open source and in git. Even if we don't build stable releases for you, you can build them for yourself (or employ a community such as Debian to do that for your).
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi Felix,

Understand what you are trying to say, but without a stable release I can't even test to decide if Kopano is working for me. (and if I can recommend it!)
    Don’t expect a special build, but if somewhere along all release, you decided a version is stable, a copy in a folder marked stable, would help a LOT of people to test if your product is working in their environment.

Zarafa

You make it sound like the current master builds are super volatile and broken, while they are certainly not. Its just that they come directly from our development branch and therefore have the latest optimizations and features. As soon as 8.2 is out of the door, master will be merged into our release branch and released as 8.3 beta1 (well not instantly of course, we'd still have to run a full testset ontop of the merge).

And even if they were, if it really would be about "let me test is this works for me", then there are still trial versions: https://kopano.com/kopano-trial-download/
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano