Thread: Meeting events vanish when accepted on iOS (Z-Push 2.3.4, Zimbra backend 66)

Meeting events vanish when accepted on iOS (Z-Push 2.3.4, Zimbra backend 66)

We're running Z-Push with the Zimbra backend (versions 2.3.4 and 66 currently).
    Starting with Z-Push 2.3.x, we have severe problems with meeting requests and iOS devices (observed with iOS 9, 10.1, 10.2).

When I accept a meeting request on an iPhone, the event immediately disappears from the calendar (not only on the iPhone, but it's removed in Zimbra as well).

Changing the request to tentative on the iPhone works fine, only accepting the request kills the event from the calendar.

When I then change the state from tentative to accepted in the Zimbra web client, the status is not updated on the iPhone. A change of the subject of the event, though, is propagated to the iPhone immediately, while the state still remains tentative (and therefore inconsistent with the Zimbra calendar).

Then again, as soon as I accept this event on the iPhone, it disappears from the calendar.

One thing I noticed is that the meeting requests don't show up under "New" in the inbox of the iPhone Calendar app, but under Replied (with initial state "accepted").

I know about LOGLEVEL_WBXML, but I'm lost interpreting the WBXML.

Any hints how I could debug this problem?

Best regards,
    Gregor

Can you walk through the steps to send and accept the meeting request? I have tried to reproduce it on an iPod Touch and I can't.

Is the meeting request from another zimbra user? Or from a different calendar provider?

Can you tell me what you have set for Zimbra -> Preferences -> Calendar -> General -> [ ] Automatically add received events to calendar - Having it checked can cause issues with accepting meetings.

We have a similar problem. Versions z-push and zimbra backend are the same. The option "Automatically add received events to calendar" is turned off.

The invitation to the meeting, which was posted by the another user from our Zimbra or other external service, has already been accepted by the user on the other device. When the user is watching this event on iPhone, it disappears from the user's calendar and on the iPhone, and in Zimbra. In the log trouble.zip you can view records while trying to see the event on the iPhone. The users names, emails and ip in log was changed by security reasons.

If the meeting invitation, which was posted by other person, was accepted by the user on the iPhone, the event does not disappear.

If the option "Automatically add received events to calendar" is enabled, it is impossible to accept this event on the iPhone. When you are clicking on the Accept button just nothing happens.

If the option "Automatically add received events to calendar" is turned off, this event may be accepted on iPhone. But if the event has already been accepted on another device, when viewed this on the iPhone, it disappears in the same way.

Steps to reproduce ( thanks to Gregor for idea ):
    1. Send an invitation to the Zimbra account.
    2. Accept this invitation, for example, in Zimbra webclient.
    3. On the iPhone (where the Zimbra account is configured as an Exchange server, i.e. using Z-Push), open the Calendar app, find the event in the calendar (not in the Inbox).
    4. Oops! Event is disappearing on your eyes.
    5. Check in the Zimbra webclient of this account - the event is gone here as well.
    Last edited by p.krymov; 20-01-2017 at 05:09 PM.

The setting "Automatically add received events to calendar" was enabled. I just disabled it in my Zimbra account and indeed the problem is gone.

Thanks for the hint to this workaround!

Still, even with this setting enabled, everything worked fine with Z-Push 2.2.x (and Zimbra backend r65, as far as I remember). The problem appeared after the upgrade to 2.3.x. There seems to be some change in 2.3 that triggered this annoying problem.

The problem was reproducible with invitations from other providers (e.g. Google Calendar, another Zimbra installation) as well as from other users in the same Zimbra installation.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Send an invitation to the Zimbra account. This can be done from another Zimbra account: "New Appointment", add the mail address to the "Attendees", "Save and Close".
    2. On the iPhone (where the Zimbra account is configured as an Exchange server, i.e. using Z-Push), open the Calender app, find the event in the calendar (not in the Inbox).
    3. Open the event. It is already "accepted".
    4. Change this to "tentative"
    5. Change it back to "accepted". Boom. The event is gone from the calendar on the iPhone.
    6. Check in the Zimbra webclient of this account: The event is gone here as well.

I believe the changes that have caused this to become an issue are changes to the iOS Calendar/ActiveSync implementation. My only iOS device is an old iPhone 4 which stopped updating at 7.1.2 so I am unable to reproduce or debug the issue.

Problem solved after setting value date.timezone in global php.ini.

Hi All,

We have such problems but timezone defined.
    This occurs after the phone sees the invitation to the meeting the first, and then this meeting accepted in Zimbra Client / Outlook.
    Please could you say, whether there is some kind of solution to this problem?

We found that the iPhone, in this case, do not send values of "starttime" and "endtime" now. As a workaround, we have added the following code in the file "zimbra.php" after the line 7420:
    Hope it will be helpful for you too.

Thanks. I have already found the same thing in my debugging.

The backend "interprets" the blank date as 1/1/1970 - so the meeting does not actually disappear - it gets moved to that date. Not ideal :-)

I am trying to figure out the best way to address it as there are a bunch of different fields that get dropped, and for repeating meetings where just one of them has changed it is much more complicated

Thank you for quick response!

I'll try to check this solution today.