Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS reconnect troubles

iOS reconnect troubles

Hi,

I have z-push running smoothly, but there is this problem I can't seem to fix (it appears on iOS9 as well as iOS10).

All is working well, except when my iPhone has no network connection at the time the push should occur. When it reconnects to the internet nothing happens: I only receive this email (and push notification) when the mail is fetched manually or when the phone is rebooted.

Anyone also experiences this problem, and better still: know how to solve this ? :-)

Thanks

I think I found it .... the problem is persistent with z-push 2.3.3 and it is persistent NOT an issue with z-push 2.2.x

Guess this needs to be looked at ?

Zarafa

I'd say we need more logs for that ;-)

Can you create a wbxml with 2.2 and 2.3? I'm guesing that this is probably related to the imap backend, since I cannot observe such errors on my ios device.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi,

just new to z-push. Any info on where/how to create logs ?

Tx

Zarafa

I've just started a little page for such questions:
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Hi wim,

there is also an explanation on this on the FAQ page:

Manfred
    Please do not PM me asking for support. Use the forum instead. Thank you.
    I usually check the mobility thread at the end of the day, so please have some patience if there's no immediate response. Asking to look at certain thread per PM won't result in a faster answer.

I hate to /me too but I'm facing this problem too with 2.3.6beta1.

A bit of background, I was supporting only Android and Windows devices up until last week but now we have our first iphone!

Push works well for me most of the time, but occasionally, the phone will not receive updated. The moment the mail app is re-opened, the latest mails are downloaded, but no notifications or beeps indicate new mail is ready.

After refreshing the phone, it will continue to work for a few hours, but eventually it will stall again.

I'm using dovecot / imap, Sabredav / caldav/carddav as my backends. I don't see this problem with android devices anywhere near as frequently.

I was wondering if there was an update to this problem, or, more appropriately is there somewhere I can look for problems (I'm happy to play inside the code)

IOS 10.3.1 and Z-Push 2.3.6beta1 (and we 2.3.5)

Zarafa

Unfortunately we never received logs, therefore there has been no update to this.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

It's interesting, but hard to reproduce.

So far I've seen the device issue ping requests, but not notice new emails (which I think are sync requests)
    It seems to happen after the device has switched from wifi to mobile data.

It's really hard to reproduce reliably, but once it has taken affect the mail app must be opened in order to pull down new emails.

I'm running at a higher log level now and I'll try to capture some information... I'm wondering what the result of the ping command is, and how z-push is letting the device know that there are new emails. I'm going to try and work out if the ping response (indicating there is new content) is being lost over the network...and subsequent new ping requests are not receiving the update.

It's a matter of reading code / log files but I hope to come back with better questions or patches

Hi cpitchhord,

if there were changes, Z-Push responds with a ping status 2. The device then issues a sync request to get the changes. However if the device lost the ping connection or the connection was lost (because of a network error or a proxy or some webserver mod) then the device doesn't receive the response and won't issue the follow-up sync request. The sync will only happen when the user opens email app.

In the past we've seen issues when using wifi and mobile data on iOS devices. For some reason these devices seem to have problems when using both connections and pings are lost.
    However it also depends on your server's configuration: is there a proxy in between, are there multiple servers with a load balancer, which webserver you're using, which mods are installed.

But if it works fine with Android and Windows mobile devices, it's more likely that the issue is with the iphones rather than Z-Push/server configuration.

Anyway let us know if you have some findings.

Manfred
    Please do not PM me asking for support. Use the forum instead. Thank you.
    I usually check the mobility thread at the end of the day, so please have some patience if there's no immediate response. Asking to look at certain thread per PM won't result in a faster answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast