Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kopano + mapi client and/or Zarafa plus Kopano Outlook Extension

Kopano + mapi client and/or Zarafa plus Kopano Outlook Extension

I have two related questions and this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask but I welcome any advice from moderators or users!

Background
    Currently my firm has Zarafa server using the MAPI Outlook client. We have MS Office versions from 2007 to 2013 currently. We will likely be getting some computers with Office 2016 soon.

I note the Kopano Outlook Extension documentation states that it is a condition for KOE to work that "."

Question 1
    When z-push 2.3 and KOE is released, will these both work with Zarafa server on Outlook 2013 and 2016 while still allowing us to use the MAPI client on Office 2007 and 2010?

Question 2
    If we were to upgrade to Kopano server, would we be able to use the MAPI client for Office 2007 and 2010 while using z-push 2.3 with KOE for Outlook 2013 and 2016?

Thank you.

Zarafa

Hello costsyork,

what this sentence is meant to say, is that the user you use to connect Outlook to the server must be an active user that has to be created prior connection Outlook. The only real requirement on the server side is Z-Push 2.3, which works with a Zarafa or Kopano server in the background.

But if you are to choose the way forward and upgrade your system to Kopano, then yes the old mapi client will continue to work as well (you only have to download it from Zarafa as its not available from Kopano).
    Last edited by fbartels; 26-07-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Thank you very much for your quick answer!

But for these clients everything is still the same? Support is ending and then there will be no further compatibility?
    What are the missing features with Z-Push and the newer versions at the moment?

Zarafa

Yes, for the old mapi client everything stays as announced earlier. Instead the Kopano OL Extension (KOE) takes its place for everyone really needing Outlook.

There are some words of what KOE does and doesn't do in . There is also a little screenshot tour over at the new Kopano Knowledge base:
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

What do you mean with "you cannot simply open shared folders in ActiveSync; you have to synchronize them to your local device first."?

What we are using (maybe you add what or how it could be working):

OOO-Assistent (working with Kopano)
    GAB (working with Kopano)
    Shared folders and sending in the name of over this folder (typical group inbox)
    Shared Calendars
    Public folders with contact folders which are used as contact groups in Outlook

Next question:

Can I test Kopano extension with a Zarafa installation or has it to be a full Kopano background?

Missing features

As I understand the release notes, at the moment GAB will work and Out of Office. Missing features are especially shared calendars and the send as logic.
    The problem is that we are now about 7 months from the end of MAPI support and people with larger installations will need to decide soon what to do. I have a customer that needs GAB, shared calendars, (e.g. for holidays overview) and Send As (for shared mailboxes). He has clearly stated that he is not willing or prepared to phase out Outlook (they have other commerrcial addins that depend on outlook).
    So I can only hope that we at least get a roadmap for the missing features soon or the MAPI supoport is prolonged, otherwise that license will move on to another system. These two features are killer features in many companies, without them zarafa will probably have limited success with the replacement.

Zarafa

Outlook over ActiveSync cannot does not have direct access to the data on the server, but is only able to display what has been downloaded/synced to the client before. While this should be ok for shared calendars (with version 1.1 you can open shared folders and calendars and include them in your own inbox this way) I would not recommend this for whole (and probably quite big) shared mailboxes. For this use case the recommended clients are WebApp and DeskApp.

Contact folders in public stores are problematic as well, since by default Outlook does only synchronise one contact folder over activesync.

Yes, the key factor here is Z-Push 2.3 and Z-Push 2.3 is 100% compatible with Zarafa.

While opening shared folders is part of version 1.1 (sheduled for release at the Kopano Conference), we are still looking into way to achieve send-as/delegation for outgoing mails. We are hoping to have that in a version 1.2, but its to soon to say when this will be, or if this feature will actually be in it.

Yes, we are fully ware of the importance of these features, and are very certain that we have some good arguments with WebApp and DeskApp in these cases.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

But you don't advise it when big data is synchronized, so calendars with many entries and maybe attachments are also a problem?

If these features are needed in combination with 3rd party addins you don't have them...

Zarafa

I was more referring to folders of several gb in size, still have not seen a calendar peak these limits. Also it not much of a technical limitation, but more like "do you really want to carry the whole inbox of a different user on your ssd?"

Attachments are a bit of a technical limitation though. ActiveSync 14.0 does not support calendar items with attachments, only 16.0 and newer does. And even once we implemented 16.0 support in Z-Push we are not yet 100% that attachments will then be included, since Microsoft does not document which ActiveSync versions Outlook actually supports.

To be clear: attachments in meeting invitations will be displayed on the calendar item in Outlook. But it is not possible to attach items to a meeting in Outlook and if you create an appointment in WebApp and add an attachment it will not be shown in Outlook.

yes, unless there is an equivalent WebApp plugin for the 3rd party Outlook addin.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast