Thread: reject E-Mails with worddoc attachments somehow?

Smile reject E-Mails with worddoc attachments somehow?

Hi

to protect our network for the new filecryptvirus we habe to reject some kinds of attachments in zarafa.
    Is it possible somehow? Any Solution possible?

Zarafa Version: 7.1.4-41394

Thanks for your help

Regards...
    Karsten

Zarafa

Hello Karsten,

you can easily do this in your mta. in case you are using postfix this might help (I have not tested this personally):
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Dear Felix,

Thank you, but what about ZARAFA. I have been reading through the sparse Information on the dagent (delivery agent) and this thing is either documented really bad or is a pretty dumb guy.

If all mail comes in through the MTA than it is Best to do it on the MTA, right.

But what if there are additional mailboxes being picked up by fetchmail and given to the dagent to place in the postbox.

What now ??

Hi Steffen,

why not using fetchmail to give it to sendmail / postfix? That way you fetchmail --> postfix --> zarafa

See this:

regards
    mwmail

Zarafa

What mwmail is saying.

The problem i see with filtering this in zarafa-dagent is, that in these cases the sender will already have a successful delivery in his local logs (which he will have anyway if you retrieve mails via fetchmal/getmail). So that makes it hard to modify/filter after the successful delivery.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Dear Both,

Thank you for trying to help. I follow the logic. sendmail (postfix) even has an option called "Gateway" (-G) and if I read it right it should just pass it along as received ...................... but hey, somehow I can not get a message passed using postconnect and then telling it to throw it to sendmail.

I am going to re-read everything one more time to make sure I didn't miss anything, but doesn't someone already have a working fetchmail line ?!?

Ok.

So did some thinking about the whole thing. Resending it using sendmail (postfix) and then filtering it, does have the thing that Felix mentioned. The Sender aktually already has a "mail accepted" response.

So the Problem does remain though. I want a few attachements to never arrive at the user. This thread is talking about "word docs" but lets think about the "exe" Files during X-Mas time and the Lokey ZIP running around right at this moment.

So there should be a way of having someone on the route of the mail STRIP that attachement and maybe even add a notice to the mail "been stripped" ...

Any experience? Any Idea?

Zarafa

The original start of this thread was to have a simple and easy way to stop the current ways of infected docs files (which some av solutions don't stop afaik). If you are looking for a more general solution to prevent certain attachment types then amavis/clamav could be a good starting point.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Before I move on an get lost on the subject (still haven't decided on what exactly to do), let me jot down a few lines for others seeking this information, following different links, etc.

If you are using fetchmail (or getmail) to poll Mail from other servers and then drop that off with zarafas dagent, you can not perform any other checks. dagent does not check anything.

As pointed out above one can drop it back into postfix (sendmail). In your regular fetchmail (getmail) file there will be a line like:

mda "/usr/bin/zarafa-dagent john.doe"

this you transform into

mda "/usr/sbin/sendmail john.doe"

you might run into the situation (I did) where using LDAP or MultiDomain (not shure which is the cause) that you may have to specify the complete adress (I did)

mda "/usr/sbin/sendmail "

Advantage ist that you can now do pretty much anything with the mail.
    Disadvantage ist that if you "reject" the mail, it of course is not rejected (already got accepted at the other mail server you grabbed it from) ... where does the mail or mailerdoeamon go ?? Who knows or cares, but the original sender does not get it that is sure.

Hope this helps someone.