Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running WebMeetings only on Apache without Nginx

Running WebMeetings only on Apache without Nginx

I'm trying to get Apache set up to run WebMeetings without having to bother with Nginx. What I have as a starting point is this:

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. I get a "400" error in Apache whenever attempting to connect either through the WebApp link to WebMeetings or directly at . (The web client sees the general WebMeetings screen, but it shows an error and displays a "Retry" button.)

I'm hoping someone out there can offer some input to help tweak this config to a working version.

I've tried adding in a

ProxyPassReverse ws://127.0.0.1:8090/webmeetings/ws

statement as well in the section below ProxyPass. It doesn't help.
    Last edited by fbartels; 10-02-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added code blocks

Zarafa

Does your distribution make a configtest for Apache when restarting it? From what I can see the configuration looks good (more or less the same as in the documentaton), so I can only imagine that you are missing some modules.

PS: please use code blocks for formatting, this makes it more readable.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Felix,

apachectl configtest reports "ok"

The following proxy modules are loaded:

# This file configures all the proxy modules:
    LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
    LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
    LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so
    LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
    LoadModule proxy_express_module modules/mod_proxy_express.so
    LoadModule proxy_fcgi_module modules/mod_proxy_fcgi.so
    LoadModule proxy_fdpass_module modules/mod_proxy_fdpass.so
    LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
    LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
    LoadModule proxy_scgi_module modules/mod_proxy_scgi.so
    LoadModule proxy_wstunnel_module modules/mod_proxy_wstunnel.so

It simply doesn't work. I put Nginx back in the mix last night to test, and it worked immediately. So, it's not an issue of WebMeetings not running or not being configured. It's all Apache at this point.

There's no really good debugging I've seen so far to determine what the cause of the "400" error is when connecting to /webmeetings/ws. Here's the log entry I do get:

a.b.c.d - - [08/Feb/2016:11:10:42 -0500] "GET /webmeetings/ws HTTP/1.1" 400 12 "-" "Mozilla/5.0

12 bytes of data returned and a 400 level error code.

Zarafa

If anything then you are using too many proxy modules. But its not only the proxy modules, that you need to have activated you also need mod_headers.

As for debugging: the browsers error console has proven to be a helpful utility.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

mod_headers was loaded as well.

I realize there are a few modules not currently being used, but I doubt they are causing the issue. :-)

Zarafa

Well... if you're so certain ;-)

No, but seriously. If you already have a Nginx setup in place, then why not use it? In terms of scaling Nginx can way better keep up with many concurrent connections, than Apache could ever do.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

1) It's another piece of software to maintain and another layer of complexity

2) Nginx generates errors occasionally to users when Apache isn't actually busy on the backend

3) Nginx times out frequently on ActiveSync "ping" requests

4) I'd like to get Apache working for this purpose

What I'm hearing from a couple different directions it seems is that only one person in the Zarafa ecosystem has this running on Apache. He has it running with the config listed above. Since it doesn't work for me using that config, no one apparently knows how to fix it.

I'm not sure if that is 100% correct. He may have different config items. He may have knowledge of modules dependencies which weren't included. I only have the basics of what I was given. And that isn't working.

If anyone has pointers on getting it working, I'm interested in trying it and providing feedback.

Zarafa

That is not true, since the same configuration will be used when installing the Zarafa Web Meetings App on Univention. So there are quite some other users out there.

The same configuration is documented at the uptream project of Spreed () and own own documentation ().

You are also not making it very easy to help you.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

That's good to hear. But, it's the first I've heard about it, and I wouldn't have known to look at Univention for the solution to my problems, right?

The Zarafa docs have been updated very recently, as my copy I downloaded in January doesn't have this section. :-) Thanks to whomever decided to add this.

I'm not sure why you would choose to add this in a public forum, but for my part, I've spent time doing everything I was told to this point. I've read numerous Apache "ws tunnel" articles. I've tried numerous variations of the configuration. It's not working based on the information given "out of the box."

I just switched it back over to try it again to see if changing to 127.0.0.1 from "localhost" would help. It doesn't.

The web browser console reports this:
    There is no indication that the config expects a "wss" setup instead of "ws," but I went ahead and tried that, too. No dice.

Error logs on HTTPD show this when trying to access /webmeetings directly.

SOLVED: WebMeetings on Apache without Nginx

Interesting. I went back to the Spreed site you linked to, and I noticed a major difference compared to what Zarafa has in the documentation.

They have the order different with <Location /webmeetings/> coming first.

So, I tried with the contents of the Apache 2.4.x virtualhost .conf file looking like this:

And THAT works on CentOS 7.2.x.

I also verified that trailing slashes DON'T matter. So this code works exactly the same as the above:

But once I switch the order back to the way listed in the Zarafa documentation, I get the same error sequence EVERY time.

Felix, you might mention that to whomever is in charge of the documentation. It may not matter on any other distribution, but it breaks on CentOS 7 in order currently listed in the documents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast