Thread: how to MERGE Zbk Archives

how to MERGE Zbk Archives

Hi all,

years ago I've posted here (the other section) asking if there was a way to merge two or more zbk sets (zarafa-backup's output) it seems ugly but without having other way to keep the mail we do several full backup every three months then a daily incremental backup.

After this work we ends with two nas full of huge files.. which all almost contain the same messages.

So the idea is:

read: fullbackup1/user1.index.zbk as A
    read: fullbackup2/user2.index.zbk as B
    diff (B-A) of the two lists to identify new messages/folder/items

create: full-and-mergedbackup/user1.index.zbk
    that contain A + (B-A).

What I've done till now:

read A, B ->Ok
    Diff A, B ->Ok
    Extract the single message:
    identified the start of the element (easy, from the index.zbk row)
    identified the end of the element (assumed as the start -1 of the next row)
    now the strong part: what is the format of the message stored in the archive? do I have to consider it as binary then read and write byte by byte or there is a structure somewhere that I can use to further analyze the file or that can help in some manner?

next step: store in the new data file the message and write index file emulating the zarafa-backup utility

obiously the resulting file have to be zarafa-restore compliant, we should have to be able to restore messages from it.

Do someone has seen somewhat on this topic? I'm aware that is not directly zarafa-python api related but I've posted here because my entire program is written in python. (if it can solve this problem I can switch to c++ or php)

My zarafa setup is 7.1.5-4205

Thanks a lot for any help

Zarafa

Sorry, but I have to ask. Why do you want to merge the data files from zarafa-backup? to deduplicate and reduce required storage? Actually I would recommend to do a fresh bricklevel backup more often, since in case there is a foul increment in between you can forget the whole backup set.

In general zarafa-backup is primarily to have an easy restore of single mailboxes or messages, if you are looking for long term archiving of backups then using mysql backups is probably more space efficient (can be better compressed and attachments on disk can easily be deduplicated).
    Last edited by fbartels; 14-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

Zarafa ALPHA/BETA/RC feedback in BETA forum please.
    Zarafa IRC chat: irc.freenode.com > #zarafa
    Zarafa documentation: http://documentation.zarafa.com/

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Yep, Deduplicate and reduce.. mainly I've to do that because between backups some user can have deleted some messages from their store (accidentally or by their will) but I've to keep them in any case.

I'm agree with you that mysql backups could have done the trick but I've to merge zbk backups since 2011 and I simply cant start from today on.

I'm with you that is not the "right" way but the only other way I've found is to do a fresh zarafa installation, import every single archive, do a duplicate check with some unknown outlook plugin then re-export all.. two months of work at least

Hope to get the information on how zarafa backup writes his data files? if not I've to move to the option b..

I almost forgot, thanks for replying!

Zarafa

But why since 2011? I find it hard to imagine that someone will realise tomorrow, that he needs to restore a mail he deleted over four years ago.

To my knowledge you are correct with the following: "do I have to consider it as binary then read and write byte by byte" thats basically what zarafa-restore does.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano

No support via PM! Please contact our sales team for an offer if you want my full attention.

Thanks, is for a sort of data retention, keeping communications from customers, long projects, old changes.. the phrases like "he told me that in the 2009" is not so uncommon in this place.

I've to switch to somewhat better like zarafa archive or some system like mailarchiva, but this can be from now on, that still not cover the past.

I'll try byte by byte approach and I'll let you know.

Zarafa

Ah, I see. Your goal is to have a mail archive (hence the importing and finding duplicates) to have your complete mail history and not to reduce storage of your backup archive. Then I've gotten your initial question wrong.

Just theoretically speaking.. python-zarafa has the ability to export a mailbox as maildir (here someone already wrote a script around that functionality ), so you could

- import one users bricklevel backup
    - export es maildir (linked script can be called with "zarafa-export.py -u username" to run only for a specific user)
    - unhook store of import user, create a new store for the user and delete the unhooked orphan (else your database will grow and grow and grow)
    - repeat step 1 with another backup for the same user
    - once your'e done (or even in between depending on the available space) you can use a file base duplicate finder to do the cleanup
    afterwards you could import that structure back into your new mail archive. The individual steps will take time, but in general that sounds easily scriptable.
    Regards Felix

How to get Kopano