Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/MIME public beta now available!

S/MIME public beta now available!

The first S/MIME public beta is here

Dear community, partners and friends,

It is time for another (beta) release! In the past couple of months we have shown you more and more details about the S/MIME implementation for WebApp, and we are happy to announce the first public beta of this WebApp plugin package.

What is in this package?

The S/MIME plugin for WebApp is an easy to use tool that helps the user secure email with minimal effort. It provides message signing for sender and content authentication and encryption for privacy which can be activated at the click of a button. Public certificates are automatically imported from incoming signed email messages and can be used to encrypt outgoing email messages on demand.

You can on this product page. On this page you will read how the S/MIME plugin helps users to share information easy but yet secure!

New in this open BETA: the certificate manager!

If you are familiar with the first private beta packages you have already been using this functionality. This new version introduces the certificate manager: a user friendly tool to check and delete the certificates that have been imported for you.

We need your feedback!

Our S/MIME beta test group provided us with useful input and certificate examples after the first (closed) beta packages became available. The feedback has allowed us to provide you with a better S/MIME experience. We were also able to add extensive support for different certificate types.

Now that we’ve introduced the new certificate manager and released this public beta package we’re looking forward to more feedback! Questions about the certificate manager or having an issue with a specific type of certificate? Let us know so we can improve.

Have you been using the earlier beta packages?

With the introduction of the certificate manager we have also changed the way certificates are stored and handled in the background. If you’ve been part of the beta test group and want to use the certificate manager, you will need to clear out the certificate cache and re-import your own private certificate.

Getting the package

You can grab this beta release .
    Regards,

Martyn

I know this is a beta release, and I did only some smoke testing so far, but I still wonder a bit why I did not see any warning before uploading my private key via a plaintext (HTTP) connection. Yes, a user should be able to figure out itself whether the connection is HTTP or HTTPS, but from my point of view, the user should explicitly confirm this before uploading the private key. Note that some (even European) countries treat a valid digital signature as a legally binding confirmation, thus leaking a private key accidentally could have heavy impacts for an individual user.
    I install, configure, customize, integrate and maintain Zarafa setups in different environments since 2007. If you want my full attention, please send me a private message and ask for paid support.

Zarafa Development

Thanks for the feedback, we recommend using the WebApp only over HTTPS, which means that the S/MIME plugin functionality also works over HTTPS. We will take adding a warning about non-HTTPS connection in consideration.

It is very nice that s / mime now available.
    Yesterday I made some test and it went very well.
    However, some questions.
    First I imported my .p12 file.
    This worked well.
    Then I tried the public key from a signed mail imported.
    This only seems to work if the sender is not from the same domain as my own ?

My questions:
    - There is another way to import public keys?
    - Where the keys of the users are stored? (I used Samba4 AD for user management)
    - Can the stored keys are also used by Outlook or z-push?

Thank you for the good work.

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Thanks for the feedback. We've read it.
    Let me get back to you regarding these questions.

Cheers,
    Regards,

Martyn

Exclamation

Hi,

i just installed the S/MIME-Plugin. When i tried to upload my .p12-file i always got an "error decrypting certificate". After some time playing around i changed the password. Now it works. Please check if some special characters cause problems.

Thank you for the Plugin!

Same result with my tests. Special characters e.g. ! or ? doesn't work

Hi,
    @Balou, Mitchel
    Thanks for the feedback.
    That ticket is already created.

@Rainer,

It shouldn't matter if a sender is outside your domain.
    Regards,

Martyn

Zarafa Development

The public keys are stored in either MAPI (User Store) or LDAP/AD. Note that there is a bug with sending email with a key from LDAP/AD.
    There is no other import functionality then the auto-import at the moment, although it is possible to write a Python/PHP script to achieve this.

The stored keys in MAPI can not be used in Outlook or z-push since it's not aware that they are stored there. But with AD/LDAP it might be possible to deploy the public keys to z-push and WebApp (if I recall correctly it supports this functionality).
    For LDAP the field would be 'userCertificate;binary'.

Great Plugin, thanks a lot for this work, I have been waiting for SMIME support for quite some time.

I'm currently trying to use smime beta 3 but I seem to have the same problems mentioned here before:
    - Certificate/Key Import (PKCS12 / P12 bundle) only worked after I used a password without special characters
    - currently I can't use (unlock) my private key, it always says wrong password, I assume this is because of special characters in passphrase too. :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast